Old 30-12-2005, 12:25 AM posted to rec.gardens
Emery Davis

Default Wintering a Russian Sage in a container

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 19:22:35 -0500
"madgardener" wrote:

]
] "Mark Anderson" wrote in message
] .net...
] In article says...
] I"m a novice gardener and growing plants in containers on my terrace.
] I purchased a Russian Sage that grew beautifully all summer. In
] October I brought it indoors to repot and didn't get it back out
] promptly. I've now repotted the plant and mulched it, but while
] inside, the plant has sprouted new growth. Can I put it back outside
] now (we live in New York City)? Should I keep it indoors until Spring?
] What's the best strategy for seeing the Sage through the winter now
] that it has begun to regrow?
]
] I'm not sure about Russian sage but all my sages can't survive the
] winter outside in a container here in Zone 5 Chicago. For the smaller
] sages I overwinter them inside under either florescent or HPS lights.
] Pineapple sage gets really big so I take cuttings in the fall before
] they die and root them indoors over the winter so I'll have enough to
] put outside in the Spring.
]
]
]
]
] Well if this is indeed Perovskia Lamiaceae or true Russian Sage, it is hardy
] to zone 6-9. What kind of container? Clay? Fiberglass? Styrofoam? Cement?

I hadn't realized the common name for Perovskia is Russian Sage; but
now that MG points it out, I can say that it's one tough customer.
Very difficult to kill! I'd simply stick it back outside, and cut back
to a few buds in late April. (In New Yawk, that is. I cut back mine
in late feb in EU zone 8.)

A nice plant, requires almost no care at all, and flowers for a long time, too.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to