Old 17-02-2003, 03:44 PM
Dwayne

Default Rose early pruning

Good morning. I always prune my roses and fruit trees about the 15 th of
February, weather permitting. It seems to me that it is better giving the
plants time to heal over/dry out where I cut, before the bugs are out. The
important thing is to do it while they are still dormant.

"Kostas Kavoussanakis" wrote in message
.np.hx...

Hi,

If impatient, the bottom-line question is "will I kill a rose if I
prune too early"?

The background is as follows: up here in Scotland the advice is to
prune roses in mid-March, perhaps a bit later. We currently have hard
frosts, and I would not touch my ground-planted roses. However, I have
two large (+35cm diameter) pots against the south-facing wall of the
house, and particularly one of them has new growth up to 5 cm at the
mo (despite the fact that the surface of the compost is frozen-though
not white).

So, am I rightly tempted to prune this one? And will I kill it if it's
hit by even harder frost?

Thanks,
Kostas