Old 30-12-2005, 01:22 AM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Daniel Morrow

Default reducing phosphates

Bottom posted.

--
You can find my public key at https://keyserver1.pgp.com
"Larry" wrote in message
I have a 26g fully planted tank. Phosphate readings of my tap water
is .25-.5 ppm. My tank registers close to 2.0 I do weekly water
changes(25%), clean exposed gravel and feed the fish once daily.
Lighting is 55w on for about 10-12 hours/day. I use fertilizer once a
week, potassium twice weekly and have a diy CO2.

I think I should be lowering the PO4. Some algae buildup is showing
on my plants. Other than more water changes should I be using
something I saw at my LFS. It was a white sack with some type of
granules in it. Claims to reduce PO4 and is good for 3 montshs. Put
in filter or in tank. Is this charcoal? I've heard people using
this but never knew for what purpose. I don't have room IN my filter
so would have to slip it into the back of my tank behind plants.

Your advice?
(also posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater,misc.)

Larry

There are tons of products out there that reduce phosphates. Try checking
out www.thatpetplace.com and look for phosphate removers, or chemical filter
pads, or phosphate reactors, and / or look under filter media. OR check out
other web stores that sell aquarium products. And if you have to use your
local library computer to look these things up. Phosban is one product
listed under phosphate reactors - do be careful as I am not sure if this
particular product needs to be in an actual phosphate reactor or not. And if
you do order / visit your local lfs pick up a cheap $01.00 or better nylon
(or better) pull string filter bag, and do your research on how effective
the product in question is when not specifically in a filter (i.e. find out
if you can just put a bag of whatever it is in front of your filter out
take). Good luck and later!