Old 29-12-2005, 10:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default Cranberries and Blueberries

La Puce wrote:
Bob Hobden wrote:

No roof.

A water but will collect lots you know. I thought not a first and a
friend gave me 2 huge plastic but which he got from the jam making
factory. There's always water in them.

You've made me want to have a cranberry bush now. Just went to get

my
turkey (the first in 12 years as well) and bought 300gr of

cranberries
Howes variety from the USA @ £3.95!!! Blueblisteringbarnacles!!

It's
mad out there and I'm sure a trip to the lotty would have been

nicer
... a cheaper too.

The space is better devoted to several delicious varieties of
cabbages. Blueberries have the remarkable American characteristic of
tasting exactly like artificial flavouring, and cranberries are just
plain silly: if you want cranberry sauce for your Christmas goose
(turkey? don't make me laugh!), the supermarket will oblige.

Cranberries are grown, across the Pond, on what are rightly called
"cranberry barrens": nothing else will grow there. The flooding is
the harvesting: flood the field and hassle the plants, and the
berries, unlike others, will float, so the machine can scoop them up.
Our recipe for the sauce emphasises their sourness: the bottled stuff
is just a kind of jam, and what's the point of that?

--
Mike.