Old 30-12-2005, 03:08 AM posted to rec.ponds
Richard Tanzer

Default Winter goldfish in Chicago

wrote in
:

the best chance for survival is going to be getting a 100 watt
aquarium heater and one of those cheap double outlet air pumps from
Kmart. put the biggest 2 stones on it you can find. you need to
securely hang the water heater so it doesnt touch the sides of the
pond and then put the air stones over the top about 6 inches under the
surface of the water. put plastic over the top of the whole thing to
keep the heat (and water) in. check every day and top up with treated
water. BTW, HANG the pump so there are NO LOOPS in the tubing from
pump to airstones because water freezes in the air lines. Ingrid

When you "put plastic over the top," do you have some kind of framework to
suspend it? Or does it just lay on the surface?

I was thinking of floating bubble wrap on the pond. Any thoughts on that?

By the way, it's been so mild for the past week, right now my pond is ice
free. I hope it stays mild through Sunday; I may be going to the Packers
game in Green Bay.

- Richard in Neenah