Old 30-12-2005, 09:59 PM posted to rec.gardens
Bill R

Default Dahlias in the Front Yard

wrote:
We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Wow! You must have some really snooty neighbors if you
think that they will be offended by supports for your
Dahlias. You could always spray the supports green to make
them less noticeable.

As you can see from the pictures of my Dahlias,
http://members.iglou.com/brosen/dahlias1.htm I use
(unpainted) tomato support rings and I have never had a
complaint. I receive lots of compliments about my Dahlias
and always ask the person if they would like to take a few
home for a cut flower arrangement. Try that (giving some to
your neighbors); you will find that it soothes even the
snootiest of neighbors.
--
Bill R. (Ohio Valley, U.S.A)

Digital Camera: HP PhotoSmart 850