Old 31-12-2005, 01:35 AM posted to rec.gardens
Vox Humana

Default Dahlias in the Front Yard

wrote in message
oups.com...
We just removed some huge trees from our front yard, which now makes it
the biggest, sunniest spot on our small suburban property. I've always
wanted to grow an assortment of dahlias, and now I have the room.
However, I know that dahlias need to be supported, and I'm afraid the
supports (tomato cages or bailing wire supports, for example) would be
too unsightly for a front yard in suburbia. Any advice on how to grow
dahlias in the front yard and not annoy the neighbors?

-Fleemo

Issues of the neighbors aside, I can tell you from experience that tomato
cages are inadequate for supporting dahlias. This year I got metal fence
posts from the farm supply (you can get them at HD or Lowe's) and used them.
They come painted green with a white top. I sprayed the top green and they
blended into the landscape fairly well. You need something that is strong
and about 6 feet high for dahlias. Here are some pictures:
http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=713

http://groups.msn.com/laurelridgegar...to&PhotoID=717