Old 17-02-2003, 06:26 PM
Kay Easton

Default jerusalem artichokes

In article , Sue Chamberlain
writes
As requested in an earlier post, let me introduce myself by saying that I am
in North Wales. My Jerusalem artichokes have arrived by mail order, in a
net bag in a cardboard box. Trouble is, I am laid up at the moment so I
cannot put them in the (would have been) prepared border I had planned for
them.
Advice needed: how long can I leave them in the box (or otherwise stored)?
can I just bury them in a handy pile of compost till I'm fit again? Thanks,

Jerusalem artichokes are *tough*. John Seymour used to recommend
breaking up rough ground by sowing jerusalem artichokes, then setting
the pigs on the harvest (pigs apparently love them. Hope they don't have
the same effect on pigs' digestion as they do on ours!)

I'd probably bury them in a handy pile of compost.
--
Kay Easton

Edward's earthworm page:
http://www.scarboro.demon.co.uk/garden/