Old 29-12-2005, 07:58 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
David

Default generators

In article , Rusty Hinge
2 writes
The message om
from "Dave Liquorice" contains these words:
On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 11:03:27 GMT, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

Use fuel to provide electricity, and you waste energy in the
generation, the transmission and in turning the electricity to heat.

I did think that if you ran the generator in the greenhouse you'd
benefit from the waste heat but you'd really need to vent the exhuast
outside so you'f loose the heat in that, a significant proportion of
the heat input.

Red diesel is a *LOT* cheaper than paraffin.

Well if you buy parrafin in 5l containers from a garden center I'd
agree. I buy it in some what larger quantities for around 30p/l. A few
years back it ws 17p/l. Kerosene, parrafin, 28sec domestic heating oil
are all the same stuff. Some might be "perfumed" and slightly better
refined but it's all essentially the same stuff.

I buy paraffin (parum affinis) from a big tank at my local garage, and
it costs about four quid a gallon. last time I bought small quantities
of red diesel it was fifty pence per gallon.

You can buy heating oil from your local depot at the domestic heating
fuel price ~30p/litre, I take in 25ltr containers and they fill them
from the pump, our local one in Stowmarket (IIRC you are out this way?)
also has paraffin but I think the rate of VAT is higher

Not sure how much Red is these days, I'd expect about 40p/l as it does
carry a bit of Duty.

AFAIK it carries no duty for agricultural use. I believe it has been
imposed, or it is proposed to impose duty on it for use on inland
waterways.

--
David