Old 31-12-2005, 11:13 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Oxymel of Squill

Default Replacing Water Butt Tap

yep, tap probably frozen
but it is possible to replace tap working solo. Have to lay it down and
crawl in having wedged the tap from outside so it doesn't turn. I've done 7
of mine at one time or another
the one that has defeated me is the expensive 'pretty' butt moulded to look
like wood, and with a solid top except for a drainpipe sized hole, and the
tap half way up the side. I didn't spot the stupidest design in the world
before I bought it. Tap hasn't failed yet, but it will be impossible to fix
when it does.
You'd think the industry would invent a push in type tap with bits that
expand on the other side to hold it in place. See you on Dragons' Den.
I've also had to cobble together a crude gubbins to prevent the entire butt
emptying into the pond instead of the 2" of pond that needs filling, while I
fall asleep. Has anyone seen anything on the market for this?

"M" wrote in message ...
With all the snow and rain I checked the tap on my water butt, the tap
"opened" easily but no water, not one drop. It maybe that some of the
water
in the butt has frozen although I'm thinking the mechanism of the tap has
failed.

I will check again tomorrow . I have a spare tap but what is the standard
procedure/tool to get the nut fitted on to the tap inside the butt ? The
water butt is too tall to reach into .

Any tips ?

Michael