Old 17-02-2003, 07:19 PM
Gary Woods

Default jerusalem artichokes

Alan Gould wrote:

I wonder if that's how the Pub name 'Pig and Whistle' came about?

Thanks; I needed that... just when the cabin fever was subsiding, another
snowstorm started working up the eastern coast of the former American
colonies. I'm out of the main swath, but there's still plenty of fine
exercise to be had clearing the rest.

In defense of JAs: They don't really "spread," in the way horseradish
does, so aren't likely to become a major nuisance as long as you keep them
in the same place. I dig all I can find, add compost, and let what I
missed make the next year's crop. They're quite good pickled "on the
cheap" by just dumping in the fridge in a jar of leftover pickle brine and
left for a few weeks.

As for the side effects, who ever said that was a _bad_ thing? One of the
great underrated pleasures in life, I say!

And it's a fine day for digging through the seed catalogs, although just as
dangerous as grocery shopping when you're hungry.

Cheers!