Old 17-02-2003, 07:54 PM
Martin Sykes

Default lopping a gumtree

"Chris French and Helen Johnson" wrote in
message ...
In message , Chris
Long writes
I think you might be on a hiding to nothing, they are big tree's
potentially not shrubs, and not all like to be restrained in this way.

Bonsai techniques should be applicable to these like any other tree. I'm no
expert but I think with pruning and restricting the root ball it should be
possible to have a 6ft eucalyptus tree with a thick trunk.

A quick search found the following site:

http://www.eucalyptus.co.uk/indepth_bonsai.asp

says they are best grown as large bonsai ( 3ft ) and to pinch out new growth
regularly and to keep outdoors when possible to prevent too much growth.

Martin