Old 01-01-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.gardens
Summer Wind

Default Planting for Privacy Screening

The most common plant for this purpose in zone 5 is arborvitae. (Thuja
sp)

Thanks. I'm new to gardening/landscaping and this put me on the right
track. Here's one of the many links I found.

http://www.djroger.com/green_giant_arborvitae.htm

SW

Another question. I just bought this house in September and the previous
owner planted six pear trees where I want to put the Arborvitae. I believe
they are dwarf varieties and while they are small at the moment, a couple
were bearing fruit last year. Would the pear trees survive being moved, and
when would be a good time to move them? Would winter when they are dormant
be the best time? It's mild now with high temperatures in the 40s and 50s.
If the ground freezes around here it usually does not stay frozen for long.

Thanks,
SW