Old 01-01-2006, 05:10 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default moving a large rose

I have a very healthy, large Teasing Georgia in
a space designed for a smaller rose. A rose in
a larger space nearby recently died so I
decided to move the large TG into the larger
space. I've transplanted roses before, but not
one quite this large.

"Large" is relative; the TG is about 5' tall and
about 6' wide (some canes are longer than that).
So it's large compared to most of my other
moderns, but small compared to some of my
shrubs and most climbers.

The Teasing Georgia was planted originally in
March 2002 and grew rapidly. It's has consistently
been one of my healthiest roses.

First I dug out the dead rose and replaced most
of the soil with fresh soil, then watered well.

Second I pruned Teasing Georgia heavily. I
would estimate I cut off about 3/4 of the growth.
In our area a dormant period hasn't happened
yet (still too warm), so that meant cutting out a
lot of green leaves and canes.

Third I used a straight edge shovel to cut TG's
roots in a semi-circle about 2' out from the rose.
I didn't cut in a full circle. I'm guessing that
leaving about 1/3 of the roots intact will help
reduce shock.

In two weeks or so, I'll finish cutting roots and
transplant the rose. I've learned to use seaweed
as a root stimulator and transplant shock minimizer.
Add some triple superphosphate in the planting
hole, and cross my fingers.

Wish me luck.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8