Old 01-01-2006, 09:57 PM posted to rec.gardens
Anthony B

Default Planting for Privacy Screening

"Summer Wind" wrote in message
. net...
The most common plant for this purpose in zone 5 is arborvitae. (Thuja
sp)

Thanks. I'm new to gardening/landscaping and this put me on the right
track. Here's one of the many links I found.

http://www.djroger.com/green_giant_arborvitae.htm

SW

Another question. I just bought this house in September and the previous
owner planted six pear trees where I want to put the Arborvitae. I
believe they are dwarf varieties and while they are small at the moment, a
couple were bearing fruit last year. Would the pear trees survive being
moved, and when would be a good time to move them? Would winter when they
are dormant be the best time? It's mild now with high temperatures in the
40s and 50s. If the ground freezes around here it usually does not stay
frozen for long.

Thanks,
SW

SW,
This is still a good time of year to move the pears. It is not so much
whether the ground is frozen or not that deterimes winter to be best time
to plant.move trees, but the fact that there will be both a reduced workload
on the root system ( no leaves to feed) and consistant moisture in the
ground ( no as much worry about constant watering).

So far as good screening shrubs, there are literally dozens to choose from,
including the ones that Presly mentioned.

Arborvitae are wonderful, but since they are a tall NARROW shape, you will
need more to cover the same amount of fenceline. Spruces (Picea) are good
... they cover more fenceline BUT they will take longer to fill in. I have
seen White Pine used for very long hedges, but they get HUGE ( as well as do
the spruces).

There are many Hollies that will do well... i.e. Illex Merservae ( i know..
poor spelling) Var. "Dragon Lady" can grow to 20 ft tall x 8-10 feet wide
and has these really SHARP needles on the leaves to deter trespassers.

With all these choices, you have to ask yourself these questions:

How FAST do you want the screening effect?
How BIG do you want the screen to ultimately get?
How much are you willing to SPEND?
How much TIME are you willing to invest in maintaining the screen?

Think about those questions and We in the group will be better able to make
more accurate suggestions.

Anthony B. Zone 6
Ky. Certified Nurseryman
Ky. Nursery Landscapers Association