Old 02-01-2006, 03:42 AM posted to rec.gardens
Kay Lancaster

Default Planting for Privacy Screening

On Sun, 01 Jan 2006 16:38:06 GMT, Summer Wind wrote:
The most common plant for this purpose in zone 5 is arborvitae. (Thuja

Thanks. I'm new to gardening/landscaping and this put me on the right
track. Here's one of the many links I found.

Make sure you read up on arborvitae in your state... or talk to your
state extension service. There are some real problems with it when certain
pests or environmental conditions are common. Make sure you look at
arborvitae hedges in your area with your soil conditions and your environmental
exposures, so you're not replacing them again later.

Another possibility to consider. A row of similar plants, when one dies or
doesn't do well, looks really bad. Even if you replace the dead or dying
plant, it still looks funny. A mixed, meandering border doesn't have that
problem; nor does it proclaim "property line here" the way a row of something
does -- the meander, even though it takes up more room on your property,
can suggest that your property is larger than it is, particularly if you
can frame a distance view that does not include the neighbor's buildings.

Kay