Old 18-02-2003, 07:13 AM
Sacha

Default Large shrubs next to fences

"Martin Sykes" wrote in message ...
"Sacha" wrote in message
m...
Aren't you a little unsure of what you want from both fence and hedge?
Didn't you say the hedge was intended to replace the fence,
eventually? Now you're saying you don't want to remove the fence.

I do want to remove the fence but only when the hedge is able to do its job
in terms of both security and privacy. I've ordered my native hedgeing as
seedlings because I'm in no rush. I didn't think the fence would be a
problem other than maybe making the hedge a bit bare on one side which I
thought would recover once the fence was removed.

Looking around this morning, it does seem that everyone has got fences with
shrubs/hedges planted next to them so surely they're not all going to fall
over. Is it just a problem if the shrubs have very strong branches and the
fence posts aren't set securely? Is the problem the branches or the roots?

The problem will be both. I cut down some leylandii (yes I know
you're not planting those!) which had managed to distort iron railings
and almost collapse a low brick wall.
The hedge you're going to plant will be much nicer than a fence,
probably but if it's too close to the fence it will damage it. A hedge
will also take up more of your garden space than a fence but IMO, it's
worth it because it's more attractive, offers shelter to birds and so
forth. I can't remember the start of your query but is it *essential*
to keep the fence there while the hedge is growing? If not, I'd take
it down and let the hedge have free rein!
--
Sacha