Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 PM
Jim Lewis

Default [IBC] Camellia Bonsai

Does any one have one of these? is it worth it to buy it
trimmed or easy to
trim it yourself?

Thanks
lisa
Beginning bonsai person
Ohio
Zone 5

OOOO also has anyone seen the new pussy willow tree's? they

are awesome

Camellia make nice bonsai, but they aren't what a newcomer to the
sport of bonsai wants to try. While they don't seem to mind
being pruned, or wired, most types of camellia have to be growled
at to accept life in a small pot. Keeping one alive then becomes
the greater effort, and not one for those who are just starting
out.

Saw some pussywillow "trees" for sale in our local supermarket
the other day. Can't say as I saw a bonsai hidden deep inside
them; they were tall, skinny whips growing up from a lopped off
base. The buds, et. al, were attractive, but . . .

As a beginner, you probably should stick with the versatile,
hardy, forgiving species until you have a feel for how bonsai
grow.

However, if you LIKE to experiment, and don't go all soft hearted
when the experiments fail, and already know something about how
plants grow (it is amazing to me that so many people jump into
bonsai without ever having grown even a carrot) then camellia do
make nice bonsai, and there may be more to pussy willow than I
can imagine.

David Thoreau - Walden

-- The IBC HOME PAGE & FAQ:
http://www.internetbonsaiclub.org/ --