Old 02-01-2006, 06:47 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
RzB

Default Trellis killing plants...

Bob - Many thanks for your help.

See inline comments...

Thanks,
Roy

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"RzB" wrote (snip))

We erected some trellis panels last

snip

I don't know about clematis and trellis?

I've not heard of such a reaction on a trellis/fence that old.

My wife say I was wrong - she thinks it
is about 6/7 years. We have some other
trellis panels that were purchased at about
the same time and have been errected for
much longer. We have never had much luck
growing anything up them either. Roses &
honeysuckle have never thrived on them and
we never knew why. We are beginning to
think it's the same problem we are seeing
with the clematis, and not down to our
inept gardening skills (My wife say
"speak for yourself" :-)

Is this trellis between you and a neighbour?

No - We have a largish patio and it is being
used to divide off a BBQ eating area. It's two
6ft panels long and sort of sticks out at right
angles from the house. Between the house
and the first trellis post/panel is the large,
healthy clematis.

Does your neighbour paint his side with something or spray something
around his side?

No - and we don't spray any sort of week killers..

Do you get strong/cold wind through the trellis?

Well, this house wall is north-west facing, but is
very sheltered. We are between Winchester and
Southampton... Tropical all year round :-)

--
Regards
Bob