Old 03-01-2006, 07:29 AM posted to rec.gardens
madgardener

Default Gardening zone in Guthrie, Oklahoma

from the looks of what I was able to discern, you are straddling growing
zones 6a and 7a. With the little micro climates you'll have all over your
yard, it will take a couple of seasons before you are able to figure out
just what zone you're in. But since there isn't too much temperature
difference between those, you should find a wide diversity of plants to
grow. I'd say get in touch with the Agricultural department of the largest
college nearest where you're going to settle (from the looks of it, it
appears it will be Oklahoma City) I'd even contact the extension agent for
Guthrie. that will clinch it. Good luck and lets home those wild brush
fires don't deter you from your retirement dream.....
madgardener, up on the ridge, back in Fairy Holler, overlooking English
Mountain in Eastern Tennessee (straddling zone 6b and 7a)
"Boxwood Studios" wrote in message
oups.com...
I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up, in
Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm a music
teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both sets of
grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed catalogs for
this purpose.

Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is in, whether
it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the chart, just above
Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes catalog, for example.)

Anyone know about this?

Thanks,
Connie