Old 03-01-2006, 11:20 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rupert

Default Trellis killing plants...

"Sacha" wrote in message
.uk...
On 3/1/06 1:10, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

"La Puce" wrote in message
oups.com...

Sacha wrote:

Perhaps they have a conflict of
nutritional interests with the bamboos, too?

He's got bamboo canes, not bamboo plants with them! At least that's
what I understood.

What else do you expect bamboo plants to produce? Daffodils perhaps?

What is puzzling is that other plants appear not to be affected. I'm not
clear what the OP means about those plants though, obtained from
'prunings'
IIRC. Are they planted in the ground or in pots? Is it possible that the
badly affected plants are just a bad batch or that there is something in
the
compost they're planted in, or in the feeding/watering arrangements? Why
should one lot of plants die on contact with the trellis and another lot
not
do so. And if the trellis is several years old, wouldn't any residual
nasties in it have been washed out by rain or evaporated by sunshine?

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk

It's a mystery to me also. I think the pruning's are just twiggy bits that
he has stuck on the trellis.
The bits of the clematis that grab hold of the twiggy bits seem OK.
I have had a situation where a clematis stubbornly refused to grab hold of a
trellis (ca 1") but attached itself to the shafts of the nails supporting
the trellis.
Still a mystery--too many variables