Old 03-01-2006, 11:26 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Sacha

Default Trellis killing plants...

On 3/1/06 11:20, in article , "Rupert"
wrote:

snip
It's a mystery to me also. I think the pruning's are just twiggy bits that
he has stuck on the trellis.
The bits of the clematis that grab hold of the twiggy bits seem OK.
I have had a situation where a clematis stubbornly refused to grab hold of a
trellis (ca 1") but attached itself to the shafts of the nails supporting
the trellis.
Still a mystery--too many variables

IME, clematis does better on clematis netting - that plastic coated, square
or diamond shaped stuff. It's easier for the tendrils to get round that
than round the broader wood of trellis but that still wouldn't account for
the sudden deaths of these clematis.

--
Sacha
www.hillhousenursery.co.uk