Old 03-01-2006, 12:52 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default Re raised bed Jenny Le Puce & Mike

The message
from (WaltA) contains these words:
On Mon, 2 Jan 2006 16:01:11 GMT, Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:

and a Jerusalem artichoke has
appeared and taken up residence nearby. I think that will disappear, as
I've enough of those in the back, and this year some of them grew over
ten feet. (And had silly little sunflowers on top, which I have never
seen before.)

Here in N.Somerset all three of my varieties of j.a flower each year
(for the past 25y at least !)
Some say that an alternative name, "girasol" (Italian or Portuguese
derivation ?) got corrupted to give us the "jerusalem" bit of the
name. Others say that this is not true.

I aver that it is true-ish - being a corruption of 'girasole', or 'turnsun'.

The whole thing came from the North Italian, articiocco girasole, via
Old Spanish, alcarchofa and Arabic, al-kharshofa or al-kharshuf, but the
artichoke bit refers to the thistle type rather than the sunflower, and
I have no idea how 'artichoke' or its predecessors got applied to the
sunflower (girasole). They really have little in common, visually or
culinaryaryaryary.

I guess the true story is blowing in the wind

Hmmmm. You should try my recipe for soup - well-hung venison, Jerusalem
fartichokes, lentils, pea flour, finely-sliced Savoy cabbage, swede,
carrots, onions and a little garlic, all rendered in the water Brussels
sprouts were cooked in.

Approach from upwind...

--
Rusty