Old 03-01-2006, 09:25 PM posted to rec.gardens
Travis M.

Default Gardening zone in Guthrie, Oklahoma

"Emery Davis" wrote in message

On 2 Jan 2006 17:07:10 -0800
"Boxwood Studios" wrote:

] I'm going to retire soon, and I'm going home where I grew up,
in
] Guthrie. One of the things I want to do--besides teach (I'm
music ] teacher)--is gardening. I remember how beautiful both
sets
of ] grandparents' gardens were. I have been collecting seed
catalogs for ] this purpose.
]
] Problem is, I can't figure out what growing zone Guthrie is
in,
whether ] it's 7a or 6b, since there's a little bump in the
chart,
just above ] Oklahoma City where Guthrie is. (In the Stokes
catalog, for example.) ]
] Anyone know about this?
]

Hi Connie,

No, I don't really know about your zone. But thought I'd say
"hi"
in a different group, anyway.

I assume you'll be establishing a new teaching practice, so
how does that count as "retirement?" I can't imagine you'll
be any less invested in the little horrors. (meant entirely
lovingly, of course!)

Re the zone, I'd consider it a risk to try zone 6 plants, as
apparently you will be quite close to the fuzzy edge. Although
you will of course learn more about the real micro-climate when
you find a place.

cheers!

-E

If she is on the zone 6/7 border zone 6 plants should be no
problem. The smaller the zone number the colder.

USDA Zone 8
Sunset Zone 5