Old 03-01-2006, 10:56 PM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default New Rose Garden

"MJC" wrote in message
I have had many Roses in the past but it is now time to establish my
retirement raised bed.
I am just getting started with my planning so I am looking for ideas and
suggestions. I am probably most interest in Hybrid Teas. I am in North
Carolina, zone 7. Anyone want to help?

Thanks in Advance,
MJ

Welcome to rec.gardens.roses!

My zone is sufficiently different from yours that
our experiences might not be comparable. For
example, winters here almost never get cold
enough for my roses to go dormant. I'm guessing
you do get a dormant period most winters.

However, I do have about 150 roses, moderns
as well as old gardens; climbers, shrub types
and minis. About 1/2 are in raised beds. I lose
about a half dozen per year on average and
about half the time will replace with a different
rose. I've also grown a few varieties from cuttings.
I've been growing roses since late 1999.

None of that makes me an expert by any means,
but it does make me willing to share experiences
on individual roses.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8