Old 04-01-2006, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aquaria.freshwater.plants
Gill Passman

Default What will eat Staghorn Algae?

KStringer wrote:
Would anyone be able to respond to this post? The algae is getting
really bad and taking over a lot of my plants despite my best efforts
to remove it physically.

I've read that doubling the dose of Seachem's Flourish Excel for a few
days will get rid of it. I've seen success with that in my little 2.5G
betta tank (the algae turned orange and appears to be dying off) but
with my 180G tank which is pretty heavily planted, I'm having a hard
time figuring out how much to put in, especially since I already inject
C02.

Any advice from the group would be greatly appreciated.

-Kevin

Apart from encouraging the plant growth to take over from the algae,
which you are doing, some other ideas would be to black out the tank for
2-3 days or to try some more/different algae eaters - I find my otos eat
most algae in my tank but I'm not sure that I've had Staghorn Algae but
seem to had most types - or just pulling it out by hand. One google
search I did seemed to suggest bleaching - bit extreme - here's the link
anyway as it seemed to have some useful stuff:-

http://www.fishprofiles.net/faq/algae.asp

Gill