Old 04-01-2006, 11:21 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
michael adams

Default Alien Seed

"Bob Hobden" wrote in message

"michael adams" wrote after

"MrBlueSkye" wrote ...
Hi does anyone recognize this seed I found it laying on the top of my

garden
soil this morning. It is possible that it has been there for sometime,

or
that it has arrived recently. The freezing weather and fact that I have
nothing in my garden that would produce a seed of this size leaves me
puzzled as to what it is, where it has come from

A bird or a mammal squirrel etc could well have found it or dug it
up somehere else.

Whether its a seed or not is questionable IMO.

To me the roots most resemble the sort of rooots which develop from
the discarded rootplate, sliced off the bottom of an onion or a
leek. If it wasn't for the size and ither things, I'd say this was
the discarded part of some vegetable or fruit which had been
left in a compost heap somewhere where it had rooted and been
dragged out by small mammal etc.

However picture 4 is strongly suggestive of something which had
been attached by a stem - a fruit or berry etc rather than something
which grows directly in the ground, which means it shouldn't produce
roots.

I stand to be corrected, but the distribution and quantity of the roots
from the body of the object, doesn't look very seed like to me.

I also don't think it a seed because of the well distributed roots, more
like a garlic, leek or perhaps lilly "pip or bulbil" that's rooted.

Good thinking. As that would account for the round feature, whatever
it's called, where a stalk seems to have been joined to the body - which
is clearly shown in picture 5 ( not 4 as I said before). As pips and
bulbils grow on stalks. It looks as though something took a bite out
of one side of it as well, and maybe it was that which triggered
it off.

michael adams

--
Regards