Old 05-01-2006, 03:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.roses
Gail Futoran

Default New Rose Garden

"Tim Tompkins" wrote in message

"MJC" wrote in message
Any information on raised beds? I have been doing some reading but first
hand knowledge is always better. Thanks for the help.

MJ

Raised beds allow complete control of the soil, provide better drainage
and
are somewhat easier to access due to the height.

Mine are approximately 16" of a rich garden soil on top of the local clay.
The sides are 3 2"X6" redwood on edge with 4"X4" posts.

My results are excellent and keeping the roses at least 2' from the edges
provides winter protection in a zone 5 climate.

Tim

For my raised beds, I dug down about 10" in fine
(black) clay and built up about 9" with three levels
of landscape timbers. Filled the hole with a local
rose soil mix.

I found the soil drying out rapidly in summer
heat (which can be fierce around here). For the
next raised beds I mixed some clay back in and
that seems to work better. I also mix perlite
in whenever I replace roses and put in new soil.
That seems to help both with drainage and
with water retention.

I'm able to plant a bit closer to the edge than
Tim since our area seldom gets freezes, but
not too close to the edge because of the drying
problem already mentioned.

Gail
near San Antonio TX Zone 8