Old 05-01-2006, 03:02 AM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Dwayne

Default bananas killed by frost

That is correct. I have cut down about 4 myself while living in Puerto
Rico. The "trunks" were more like a stringy cabbage head only longer and
stronger. It took about 3 times with a machete to cut them down. I should
have said banana plants, not trees.

Dwayne

"Cereus-validus-..........." wrote in message
First off, Bananas are large growing perennials not trees. They have no
woody trunks. The fleshy leaf bases will eventually die back anyway.

Second, they are rhizomatous and cutting back the foliage will encourage
new plants to sprout from the base.

Its is most important to protect the rhizomes from freezing temperatures
and not worry about the leafy growth over the winter. The top growth will
be replaced in the spring.

"Dwayne" wrote in message
I have seen banana trees killed by freezing, but they came back because
the root ball lived. Where they grow them for crops, they harvest the
stalk of bananas and then cut the entire tree off at the ground. It then
puts up new shoots that become replacement trees.

Dwayne

wrote in message
Hello and Happy New Year!

I bought two bananas last year: a M Cavendishi and a dwarf version of
the same. They were in the greenhouse until the frost came. I had a
fan heater set to keep the greenhouse above freezing but I learned
that bananas need to be above 15C. I bought them into the house from
the greenhouse, so they are now warmer. However it may have been too
late. The M Cavendishi leaves have died but the "stalk" remains firm,
so I am hopeful that it may grow again. Update: whilst firm above
ground, it is soft around the soil line and the stalk has now toppled
over; I think I have lost this one too.

The dwarf variety is worse, that is quite soft and I worry that it is
rotting. Is it too late to save it or will it re grow next year?

Thanks,
Mark