Old 05-01-2006, 04:06 PM posted to rec.gardens.edible
George

Default Seed starting environment

On Tue, 03 Jan 2006 16:57:19 GMT, George
wrote:

On this same topic: we have no trouble _starting_ seeds. But, after
we transplant them, some/all the plants develop a 'skinny neck'
condition where the stalk enters the ground. ...

Thanks to all. We did harden off; or at least, we carried them out
during the day for 'a while' (I didn't write down how long).

They were (somewhat) leggy - at least, gangly-looking - before that.
Our starters tend that way. Could this be because our lighting isn't
bright enough? Other than that, they didn't look distorted when we
transplanted them.

And, we might over-water them.

We're zone 5-ish (Syracuse NY).

Thanks,