Old 05-01-2006, 07:12 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default January issue of Orchids magagzine--a snore

The discount is $20 ($60 for non-members, $40 for members); seems to have
gone up from last time ... I gather it pays for the award photographer as
well as AOS overhead. So you need 3 a year to make the membership pay for
itself. Which means I need 2 more this year G. Kenni

"Al" wrote in message
What is the cost of an award for members vs non-members? How many do you
or your plants get per year that justifies the $60 expense? :-)

I think it is somewhat weird to award a grower a CCM or CCE and then
present him/her with a bill to register it.. It turns the grower into
something like the Scarecrow in the Wizard of OZ who eagerly agrees with
the Wizard that he is smart but needs a diploma to show the world he has
brain....as if the brain can't speak for itself.

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
I had let my membership lapse some time ago, but got roped into rejoining
to get the discount on registering an award. Kenni

"OrchidKitty" wrote in message
ps.com...
Maybe it's just me being cranky, but Orchids magazine doesn't seem as
good as it used to be. The January issue was exceptionally dull. The
article "Slipper Orchid Alliance" was just about people in the slipper
alliance and seemed more aimed at ego stoking than anything else. (It
would have been great to have had an article about some aspect of the
plants themselves.) The article on "Orchids in Costa Rica" was a dull
historical perspective focussed on people. (I would have rather have
had an article just about the plants in Costa Rica and tours one could
take to see them. I have been to Costa Rica, and it was a fabulous
trip.) The article on orchid cards was also boring. The article on
"Bamboo Shade House" was for Florida growers. The article on "Managing
Your Collection" is geared toward the grower with a large greenhouse,
lots of land, and a huge collection. The article on Microthelys
rubrocallosa didn't exactly make my pulse race either, but it might
have been exciting to an AOS judge.

On the cover, it says "Staking Basics," and "Staking Orchids" is also
on the magazine's spine, which would lead one to think that there is an
article on staking orchids. There isn't--there's ONE paragraph about
staking cymbidiums. An article about staking with photos or drawings
would have been great, but it wasn't there.

Now the dues/subscription is going up to $60 per year. Is it worth it?
Not to me. I learn more on this newsgroup than I do in the magazine.
What do you guys think?