Old 05-01-2006, 05:02 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
La Puce

Default Alien Seed

Dave Poole wrote:
Tubers and abbreviated rhizomes come in all shapes and sizes, they are
not all irregular and some can be perfectly spherical or ovoid.

(snip)

That I didn't know. I'll have to find some examples.

The testa or seed coat of an avocado is very thin and once the seed is
removed from the fruit, always oxidises through to brown, never green.

(snip)

I looked again and I would trust you with my own child Dave, but
there's still something that I'm not convinced about. The shape first,
and second the colour. But as for the firmness, I indeed didn't think
of the cold. I look forward to see what developes from this and hope Mr
Bright or Blue sky tells us when it happens.

You are thinking of the hilum - the 'scar' where seed was attached to
the ovary. Invariably this is elliptic in shape, very regular and a
different colour. It is only noticeable on the testa, and does not
appear as a scar when the testa has been removed.

(snip)

Thank you for so much info. The next avocado I get to eat is going to
get a serious look at beleive me.

Of course, the Benny Hill syndrome - I know it well

)) I've got the impossibly crazy music in my head now.