Old 05-01-2006, 08:17 PM posted to aus.gardens
HC

Default Recommendation for shade tree

G'day David

You just said NSW so I'm not sure if that means a frosty area? What
about a Bauhinia blakeana? I have one growing in the backyard and it's
a pretty flowering small tree, but then I don't get any frosts.

If you wanted to give one a try I have a self-sown seedling that I could
mail if you'd like to give it a trial? I know of others growing in
another town approx 20 mins from here and they get frosts, but not
severe frosts like in the Central West.

Bronwyn ;-)

David wrote:
Hi,

I am wanting to plant a tree for shade in the backyard.

I require something that is evergreen and fast growing that will provide
plenty of shade. Probably something that grows to around 8m-10m would be
manageable.

We have a Indian Rubber Tree (Burgandy) as an indoor plant, would this
be suitable if we plant it outside ?

My location is NSW.

Thanks in advance for your recommendation