Old 05-01-2006, 09:54 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
PammyT

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

--

"undergroundbob" wrote in message

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks, Bob

salt kills birds.
--
www.fenland-fowl.com