Old 05-01-2006, 11:35 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

The message
from undergroundbob contains
these words:

Hi all, sorry to be off topic, if you only want plant-related
discussion, read no further!

Over the winter I've regularly been making a birdy mix for the garden
with crumbs, old cake bits and mostly bacon fat from the grill. But I
have a vague worry - I've heard that birds can't process salt and I
wonder if it's possible that salt from the bacon stays in the fat?

It can, and it does.

Is this an irrational fear? Am I being daft? Or should I stop using
grill fat and stick to the Crisp n Dry?

You can use it, but clarify it first by putting it in a saucepan with
some water and boiling it for five minutes. This dissolves the salt.

Incidentally, the birds love it and the garden fills up within ten
minutes of it going out into my wee hanging containers.

Any opinions appreciated! Thanks,

You can often get free fat from a butcher. Just cut it into chunks and
pass a string through them and hang them up.

If I'm rendering fat, I often do that with the left-overs - unless I
turn them into scratchings.

--
Rusty
Separator in search of a sig