Old 06-01-2006, 05:21 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
aem

Default Carrot monsters

Kathy wrote:
For the last three years I've planted carrots well after last spring
frost and dug them in November at first winter frost to put them in the
root cellar. They grow big around here. Individual carrots can weigh 3
pounds or more. But they tend not to look quite like carrots ought.
They might have four inch shoulders and five tap roots. They might have
two roots twined. They might be split and grown inside out. They're
perfectly good to eat if I can clean all the dirt from their various
crevices, but the split ones where the cores boil out like brains
sometimes look so - ugh! - that it's kind of hard to face them.
[snip]

Interesting. What variety are they? Some are more prone to branching
out than others. My guess would be the soil is too fertile; cut back
on the manure.

Also interesting that they are still good eating when they've grown so
large. I succession plant them (here in SoCal nearly all year round)
because we like to harvest them when they're about half the size of
grocery store carrots. So tender and sweet that way. -aem