Old 06-01-2006, 02:06 PM posted to sci.bio.botany
John & / or Maryln

Default sourdough

Hi All,
I decided I wanted to make sourdough pancakes so I found a
recipe for sourdough starter and I mixed up some flour and water and threw a
dab of bread yeast in and let it sit around uncovered for a while and sure
enough made some reasonable pancakes using my starter.Now I read a little
more and find that I didn't really catch a sourdough yeast because as I
understand it a sourdough yeast is wild and when I added the domestic bread
yeast I actually insured that I wouldn't have the wild one which might or
might not have been good tasting so I suppose that if I were to start over
and not add the bakers yeast but rather try to attract a wild yeast that
tastes good, well if I try it and don't like it I just throw it on the
compost pile and keep trying. Well, my question is what are my odds? How
many times do you suppose I'll have to try before I get a good one? Also if
I leave my quasi sour dough starter [ the one where I added the bread yeast]
uncovered will it become a mixture of bread yeast and wild yeast?

Thanks in advance,

John