Old 06-01-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Award Slides

Smbcna. [now Ctph., according to RHS] Garnet Glory 'Juno Beach' HCC/AOS was
provisionally awarded in June or July 2001. I had to follow up several
times just to get the award registered, finally got the certificate about a
year later and never got a slide [and most recently, I'm following up AGAIN
because the award info, which was previously in WildCatt, has somehow
disappeared from the last update I got ...], nor any separate paperwork to
request a copy of the slide, that I can recall. But (no disrespect to the
photographer), I actually didn't care for the award photo on that one and
got one on my own digital camera that I like better.

Rhv. [now Van., according to the RHS] Ocean Storm 'Juno Beach' HCC/AOS was
provisionally awarded in October 2004. I'm still trying to get the award
registered (awaiting my bill from Pam Guist after talking to her and being
sent back to the judging center, talking to them, and being told several
weeks ago that I'd be getting a bill from Pam). Nor has there been any
mention of the slide. Guess I'll go talk to the folks at the judging center
.... again.

Kenni

"Al" wrote in message
You can get slides copied into .jpg files at the Ritz camera store here in
Leesburg. They used to provide a slide with the award documentation that
you get after you pay the invoice... has that stopped? It is that
professionally taken portrait of the awarded flower (albeit in slide
form) that makes it worth the cost of the award. ;-)

"Kenni Judd" wrote in message
Danny: That's not the only thing that's going to break AOS, as I think
you can see from this thread. Membership is already either voting, or
threatening to vote, with their feet/$$. As membership and prestige
decline, the awards become less valuable -- on that point, I have to say
that for $60 or even $40 to register an award, I really think I should
get a copy of the award photo to use on my website, but NO, that's not
included. And because they do insist on using slides, it doesn't even pay
for me to buy one from the photographer, because I have no use for the
slide, I need a digital or at least something I could scan.

I should perhaps also note that AOS HQ suffered major damage from
Hurricane Wilma. I expect it's well-insured, but that never covers
everything ... even after the deductible. So, cynical though this may
sound, I will not be surprised by more price increases.

And if I don't get 2 more awards this year, the membership will lapse
again. Kenni

"danny" wrote in message
news
Photography costs can eat up a lot of the award fee. For those of us
who get slides duplicated instead of shooting a whole roll of the flower
it eats up almost the entire award fee. We send in 36 slides for every
award so that they can be distributed to all of the other judging
centers. If AOS keeps adding new judging centers this system is going
to break eventually (or a switch to digital will need to happen.)
-danny