Old 06-01-2006, 04:39 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Mike Lyle

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

Rusty Hinge 2 wrote:
The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains

these
words:

But I don't think the dripping from grilled bacon actually has

much
salt in it: doesn't seem to when I spread it on bread, anyhow. Are

my
taste-buds getting insensitive?

A lot of bacon doesn't have much salt in it these days, either.

Yes, and so it doesn't keep. Made worse by the wholesale substitution
of water for salt.

I buy proper bacon, which if hung up in a lump soon grows a crust

of
salt crystals.

Ah, yum! About a twice-a-year treat for me, I'm afraid: but it makes
a very welcome Christmas present for favoured relatives. I never
actually got it together to cure my own when I had pigs: I'll regret
it for the rest of my life.

--
Mike.