Old 06-01-2006, 05:33 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Phil L

Default Which Tomatoes?

Des Higgins wrote:
Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small,
orange and have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Des

I grew Shirley and was quite pleased with the results, they have plenty of
taste and keep for 4 or 5 days without refrigeration, any surplus are
readily frozen without any preparation and are excellent in cooked dishes or
just chopped and heated with cheese, the tiny ones are like sweets and kids
love them, either on their own or in salads, the larger, fully ripened ones
are perfect for sandwiches, cooking or salads, but the partially ripened
ones are my favourites for cooking purposes, curries and pasta dishes and
virtually any other dish which requires tomatoes will be vastly improved by
using a couple of these in place of tinned or shop bought tomatoes.
Very often I could pick an entire truss of ripened fruits and given that I
lost about 75% of my entire crop to squirrels, I still ended up with a
fairly decent batch in the freezer, plus what we eat along the way, they are
quite prolific in the right conditions.