Old 07-01-2006, 12:40 AM posted to rec.gardens
Thornhill

Default Slugs & Copper

Floyd:

The cheapest and easiest way to kill slugs is beer. Here's what you do:
get a plastic container that's 2 or 3 inches deep. Pour an inch or two
of beer into the container. Finally, bury the container so that the top
is at ground level. Slugs are extremely attracted to beer and will
drown themselves in the pool of beer. You'll get results as soon as
overnight.

If the slugs are really big, you'll need to adjust the amount of beer.

If you're having problems with rain water, take a two liter soda bottle
and cut the top off; reattach it so that it's inverted, allowing the
slugs to crawl into the bottle when it's on its side; fill with beer;
place on its side. If this sounds too complicated, try erecting some
kind of umbrella over the containers.

Good luck (but you won't need it).

Floyd wrote:
Part of my garden in unused Scottish farm land with a high slug
population. I've read that slugs don't like copper too much and I have
plenty old copper cable lying around that I'd like to re-use. Has anyone
had any success with this?

Thanks,

Floyd

--