Old 06-01-2006, 09:27 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Rob

Default Award Slides

Kenni Judd wrote:
K -- Maybe I'm missing something, but would it really be that difficult for
AOS to arrange with RHS to receive a copy of the grex registration (directly
from RHS) when a provisionally-awarded plant is named? Or at least to
provide some written instructions to the exhibitor, with the provisional
award? Kenni

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that... AOS and RHS
don't necessarily play well together, but that is the least of it.
Large problem is that you are supposed to obtain permission of the
hybridizer to register an award. And there is a fee associated with it.
And if it is already in progress (somebody submitted the paperwork a
week before you do), it gets more complicated. And then there is the
whole species and genera changing names problem... I don't think it
would be easier if AOS was involved.

It would be nice to give some written instructions to the exhibitor,
though. Maybe even a copy of the registration form. Unfortunately, I
don't think that is going to happen on an organized level. Now that it
has been brought to my attention (never thought about it before), I'll
make sure to keep a few extra copies of the forms in my judging kit.
But that is just me. Maybe it is one step towards changing the world...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1