Old 06-01-2006, 11:04 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
Kenni Judd

Default Award Slides

Rob: On your first point: AOS and RHS should get together and work
something out. Do they need a mediator??? I could go to England this
summer, on their tab VBG. It REALLY just CAN'T be that hard to implement
some system for a copy of the RHS registration to come to AOS and from there
be sent to the proper person. By email, it would take maybe 30 seconds of
someone's time. And at $60 (the non-AOS-member charge to register an
award), I think that could easily include even a hard copy by mail.

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that... AOS and RHS don't
necessarily play well together, but that is the least of it.

I know about the hybridizer permission rule, it's been very easy to obtain
for all 3 of my RHS registrations. Registering with RHS has been the EASY
part in both award cases (although yes, there is yet another fee involved to
do that) -- the third registration was for a plant that I want to clone even
though it hasn't been awarded. Actually, the info on how to do that part of
it was very readily available when I went looking for it, and I've found the
RHS _very_ easy to deal with -- I send them their form and their $$, they
send me back the registration papers, within a very reasonable time. There
probably are cases of a prior application to name the same grex, but I can't
imagine it's wide-spread.

In any event, there probably are at least a few folks who get awards, that
don't know even these basics, so they should be included when you write up
those instructions.

Large problem is that you are supposed to obtain permission of the
hybridizer to register an award. And there is a fee associated with it.
And if it is already in progress (somebody submitted the paperwork a week
before you do), it gets more complicated. And then there is the whole
species and genera changing names problem... I don't think it would be
easier if AOS was involved.

It's the info on the AOS process that seems to be a closely-guarded secret.
It's been different both times I tried to get an award registered, but in
each case, it's been extremely onerous compared to the RHS registration
process. Each has taken numerous follow-up calls and/or email messages on
my part, and taken more than a year. Written instructions would be at least
a start on remedying this problem. If you write them up, I want a copy for
myself and I think I can make sure they are given out at the WPB judging
center [which happens to be AOS HQ]. You'll take care of it in your area,
maybe K will do it in hers, and the rest of the country will have to fend
for itself G. Kenni

It would be nice to give some written instructions to the exhibitor,
though. Maybe even a copy of the registration form. Unfortunately, I
don't think that is going to happen on an organized level. Now that it
has been brought to my attention (never thought about it before), I'll
make sure to keep a few extra copies of the forms in my judging kit. But
that is just me. Maybe it is one step towards changing the world...

Rob

--
Rob's Rules: http://littlefrogfarm.com
2a) See rule 1