Old 19-02-2003, 08:04 AM
Martin Sykes

Default Forthcoming legislation on large trees

"Alan Gould" wrote in message
In article , eddy
writes
Does anyone here know full details ?
types of trees ,heights, light deprivation ?

IIRC new legislation is proposed to bring the height of growing hedges
into line with constructed fences, i.e. normally a maximum of 2m./6'6".
It aimed primarily at nuisance from Leylandii hedges which are left
untrimmed, but it would also take in other hedging problems.
--
Alan & Joan Gould - North Lincs.

I'm planting a native hedge which isn't going to be a problem height for a
few years. When it is though, how is the height llimit enforced with respect
to the natural growth of hedges through the year? I'm thinking of something
I heard that trimming native hedges every year is damaging to the wildlife
and it's better to do it every three years instead. Something to do with
production of fruits etc. being better that way. If I do that though the
hedge will necessarily fluctuate in height between about 6ft and 8-9ft or
more. I imagine trimming a hedge to exactly 6ft every couple of months for
legal reasons would be bad for the hedge for wildlife reasons?

Martin