Old 06-01-2006, 10:34 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Rusty Hinge 2

Default OT - bacon fat and birds

The message
from "Mike Lyle" contains these words:

A lot of bacon doesn't have much salt in it these days, either.

Yes, and so it doesn't keep. Made worse by the wholesale substitution
of water for salt.

And injected milk protein.

I buy proper bacon, which if hung up in a lump soon grows a crust

of
salt crystals.

Ah, yum! About a twice-a-year treat for me, I'm afraid: but it makes
a very welcome Christmas present for favoured relatives. I never
actually got it together to cure my own when I had pigs: I'll regret
it for the rest of my life.

But the pigs were happy...

--
Rusty