Old 07-01-2006, 07:11 AM posted to rec.gardens.edible
sherwindu

Default Heritage Plants

Steve,
I checked on the Sunset Apple and it was developed in the UK in 1918
in Kent.
It is supposed to be very close to Cox's Orange Pippen, but easier to
grow. Cox
apple itself comes from a seedling of Ribston Pippen in the year 1830. I
would
tend to classify both these varieties as heritage because of their age.
I have grown
the Cox apple here in the USA for many years and it is one of the richest
tasting
apples I have ever tasted, and makes great cider.

Sherwin D.

Steve Newport wrote:

Me Again about my Sunset apple.

Another thing that I found one website mentioning is that the Sunset
Apple was a 'heritage' variety.

I have come across a number of places where they mention 'heritage'
varieties of this that and the other but I am becoming rather
suspicious that this isn't as rigorous a label as one might expect.

Can anybody tell me exactly what constitutes a 'Heritage' variety? Is
there a set guideline, or is it more of a marketing gimmick intended
to catch the romantic gullible gardener?

Thanks
Steve