Old 19-02-2003, 09:23 AM
Nick Maclaren

Default Forthcoming legislation on large trees

In article ,
Kay Easton writes:
| In article , Martin Sykes
| writes
|
| I'm planting a native hedge which isn't going to be a problem height for a
| few years. When it is though, how is the height llimit enforced with respect
| to the natural growth of hedges through the year? I'm thinking of something
| I heard that trimming native hedges every year is damaging to the wildlife
| and it's better to do it every three years instead.
|
| Many of the rose family (which includes hawthorns, blackthorn) fruit opn
| second year wood, so you have less fruit if you trim every year.

And many other families, too.

| A word of caution - if you miss cutting a hawthorn hedge for a year, you
| can no longer do it with a hedge trimmer, you need a saw as well.

Oh, come now! Hawthorn is not a fast growing plant, though it has
hard wood, and 2 year old shoots are FAR too thin to need a saw!
A pair of pruners is the most you would need, and you would rarely
need more than secateurs.

Regards,
Nick Maclaren,
Email:
Tel.: +44 1223 334761 Fax: +44 1223 334679