Old 06-01-2006, 01:56 PM posted to uk.rec.gardening
Cat(h)

Default Which Tomatoes?

Des Higgins wrote:

Last year we grew our first ever greenhouse tomoatoes.
We did Sungold and Tigerella.
Sungold were stunning and we will do them again. They are small, orange and
have an intense sweet flavour.
Tigerella are medium sized and were watery and we wont do them again.

We would like to grow medium sized varieties for cooking and salads. What
are your favourites?

Des

We used to grow Marmande tomatoes at home (SW Frogland). Incredibly
sweet and flavoursome, though some of that might have been down to
climate.
I have recently seen a "super Marmande" in a UK based seed company
catalogue, so I assume they can be grown successfully here too - though
I haven't grown any tomatoes in my new garden yet
They grow very large fruit, but quite firm and very, very flavoursome.
Perfect for just about every culinary use, cooked or raw.
The neighbour's cat used to laze among the rows of plants in the
summer, and would have that incredibly tomato-plant smell permanently
on her. I'd better stop before I begin sounding like Proust and his
madeleines.
Anyway, Happy New Year, young man.

Cat(h)
Sigless in 2006