Old 07-01-2006, 09:14 AM posted to rec.gardens
Charles

Default Question best, longest growing season in US

On Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:11:12 GMT, "Lawrence Akutagawa"
wrote:

I'll toss in Hawaii. The rich broken down volcanic soil sustains a
multitude of plant life pretty much all year round. Of course the plantings
are tropical and sub-tropical in nature. And there are definitely seasonal
fruits. But as long growing seasons go, Hawaii is tough to beat.

The problem, of course, is that the larger markets are like 2,400 miles
away. And land/water is not as plentiful as here on the Mainland.

what commercial crops are grown there now? Seems I heard they did
away with sugar and pineapple, that was the big things when I lived
there.