Old 07-01-2006, 04:15 PM posted to rec.gardens.orchids
K Barrett

Default Award Slides

Rob wrote:
Kenni Judd wrote:

K -- Maybe I'm missing something, but would it really be that
difficult for AOS to arrange with RHS to receive a copy of the grex
registration (directly from RHS) when a provisionally-awarded plant is
named? Or at least to provide some written instructions to the
exhibitor, with the provisional award? Kenni

Unfortunately it is a bit more complicated than that... AOS and RHS
don't necessarily play well together, but that is the least of it. Large
problem is that you are supposed to obtain permission of the hybridizer
to register an award. And there is a fee associated with it. And if it
is already in progress (somebody submitted the paperwork a week before
you do), it gets more complicated. And then there is the whole species
and genera changing names problem... I don't think it would be easier if
AOS was involved.

It would be nice to give some written instructions to the exhibitor,
though. Maybe even a copy of the registration form. Unfortunately, I
don't think that is going to happen on an organized level. Now that it
has been brought to my attention (never thought about it before), I'll
make sure to keep a few extra copies of the forms in my judging kit. But
that is just me. Maybe it is one step towards changing the world...

Rob

WHAT?

You don't give out instructions on how to register an unnamed hybrid or
how to get an unidentified orchid identified??? Say its not so! Say
I'm misreading that.

K Barrett